Sorry guys I haven't updated the blog all this time but I was in Beijing and my blog was banned!!!!I don't know the reason but a friend told me that all the "blogspot" blogs are banned in China! Anyway...
So, 17 days ago I moved out of my flat in HK and I flew to Beijing in order to attend a 15-day specialization programme on "Current Issues in China's International Relations" at the Peking University! The programme was very interesting! We also had the opportunity to see how mainland Chinese scholars perceive the international system and China's role in it. Propaganda was one of the main characteristics of the programme but it was fascinating for me to listen to those Party-scholars who were trying to persuade us that China is the best country in the world, that human rights in China have improved significantly over the years, that there are no social classes in China and other crap things like that....
Moreover, spending 15 days in Beijing with classmates was an opportunity for me to learn more about them and for them to learn more about me! Now I know that I will miss many people in HK and that some of them will miss me as well...
Time to comment on the current situation in Beijing city! Oh, first of all I want to mention that I was in Beijing 2 years ago and I did not like it at all... Same impression this time too! No one or almost no one can speak English (which was good in a way cause I could practice my basic Chinese)! Pollution, pollution, pollution.....yellow sky and dust in the air! Millions of cars and bikes that do not follow any rules and that can hit you anytime! Visa, MasterCard, American Express?????? what is it????Only Chinese credit cards....! Last but not least, the people: they look at you like you are from another planet! They spit everywhere and bump into you while you walk as you do not exist! Yet, all the above do not apply to hotels like Hyatt, Mandarin Oriental etc...but...how many of you would go to Beijing and stay at the Grand Hyatt for 15 days?
Good things about Beijing:1) It is very very cheap with respect to everyday things like food, coffee etc...2) the new terminal of Beijing International Airport! Very impressive!!!
As for how I spent my time there, I have not much to say cause most of the time I was working on my dissertation. Yet, I had the chance to meet a Greek friend there and spend some time together. Apart from that, as I said, I had some quality time with my classmates and especially Shannon, Matt and Bill!
Overall, the Beijing trip was an exciting experience for me...
I got back in HK last Saturday afternoon and I will be here for a week until I leave for Greece next Monday (June 9th)!! This week I am staying with the Wanchai Angels (my British friends: Laura, Nikki and Rosie) cause their flat is huge by HK standards!!
As I said I am going to Greece next Monday and I really can't wait to see my friends and family as well as go to the beach before I am off again to Geneva in August!
Greeko!
